TMI - "too much information."


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...




Well, shock of all shocks, I'm actually Canadian-American. Before I get too involved with the explanation, I must first say that no, I've never lived in Canada. But, because my parents are both Canadian, and because I was born in New York, not Canada, I'm able to have dual citizenship (i.e. two passports, etc.). And, although I've never lived in Canada, I've visited so often, I might as well live there.

Now that I've put in that disclaimer, I want to explain my background a bit further, because saying that I'm Canadian is a little like saying, "I'm American." Being American could mean nearly anything, and thus, that's not really an adequate description.

I've actually got a complicated make-up of genes: I'm 50% Scandinavian, 25% German and 25% Irish/Scottish (they liked to mix it up, apparently). In fact, I'm descended from Norwegian royalty. Exciting, no?

I'm extremely proud of my Canadian heritage, as most Canadians are. While Americans feel silly (or redneck) about wearing an American flag shirt (except on the Fourth of July, maybe), Canadians love wearing apparel plastered with their flag and/or hockey emblems. Roots, a Canadian apparel and accessories store, has enormous worldwide and national popularity. Imagine if there was a store called Roots in the U.S. that made U.S. flag shirts and shirts with vintage football logos! They'd go out of business in less than 6 months. Canadians are much more open about their patriotism, which is refreshing.

One of the most stereotypically Canadian things is ice hockey. And it's stereotypical for a good reason: ice hockey is a huge sport in that country. I've grown up with my very-Canadian father yelling and throwing punches in the air while watching hockey games on TV. Occasionally our family goes to NHL games, and it's the same thing there too. Rowdy, loud fun.

My father is thrilled that I'm at CUC, because now he has a legitimate excuse to come up to DC and see hockey games. Our home is about two hours away from CUC, so under the blanket excuse of being able to see me (and now my sister) at school, he will able to see more NHL games at Verizon Center this season.

The Washington Capitals
is the Washington, D.C. NHL franchise team. They have exciting, young players, and although they aren't the most winningest team in the NHL, their fans pretend not to notice. Hockey is slowly catching on in D.C., and it's exciting to go to games and listen to the screaming fans all around.

Be sure to catch a Caps game once their season starts in October of this year. Personally, I want to go to the Caps versus Toronto Maple Leafs game on October 29! Gotta represent the "mother land."

Any sports teams from your home town/country that you like to follow?

Labels: ,

1 Responses to “TMI - "too much information."”

  1. # Blogger cjscriven

    Thank you for the hockey references and stories. I love it.  

Post a Comment






  • CUC Main Website
  • Get Information
  • Come For A Visit
  • Apply Now
  • Academic Departments
  • Class Schedules
  • Sligo SDA Church
  • CUC Center for Law & Public Policy
  • CUC Center for Metropolitan Ministries
  • Athletics at CUC
  • Music at CUC
  • Internships in DC
  • CUC Fast Facts

  • CUC Financial Aid
  • FAFSA - What Is It?
  • Info on Grants & Loans

  • Things to do in DC
  • The Smithsonian Institute
  • Monuments & Buildings
  • Historic Georgetown
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Local Restaurant Guide
  • Local Sports Teams
  • Local Shopping



  • Previous Posts



    Powered by Blogger