Not-so-secret garden.


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Two blogs in one day--I'm on a roll! Usually I wouldn't try and be this ambitious, not with all the other work I have to do, but I just checked the DC weather forecast and I absolutely must share my favorite spot immediately!

I am severely in love with the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. Located right beside the National Gallery of Art, and across the street from the National Archives, the Sculpture Garden is a little hint of Paris right-smack in the middle of DC.

And, because of the excellent DC weather forecast I mentioned above, there will not be a time this summer more spectacular than this next week (sunny, highs in the 70's) to go downtown and see the garden.

The photo accompanying this post is me, sitting on the edge of the Sculpture Garden fountain.

There are some great things about the Sculpture Garden, my favorite being the amazing and interesting collection of sculptures scattered throughout the nature-like space. My favorite sculptures are Moondog by Tony Smith, Spider by Louise Bourgeois, and Roy Lichtenstein's House I. Lichtenstein's sculpture is probably my absolute favorite out of the three, though, and you must observe the sculpture while walking by it on the sidewalk to get the full effect of the piece.

As you can see from the photo, the reflecting pool and fountain is a magnet for tourists and weary adventurers such as myself, as you can sit on the edge and place your feet in the fountain, if you so desire. I usually forgo the actually placing of my extremities in the water, but to each their own, I suppose!

The Pavilion Café is an adorable, French bistro/cafe-like space right beside the fountain. There's indoor and outdoor seating, but go as soon as possible to take advantage of the outdoor tables.

Oh, and another neat thing? The Sculpture Garden is host to "Jazz in the Garden," a great opportunity to relax and hear some music in a prime DC spot. I would highly recommend Jazz in the Garden as a unique, exciting date idea...so, if you're sick of Chipotle and the movies, Jazz in the Garden is free (!), and you are encouraged to bring a blanket. You can also bring your own picnic food, just no alcoholic beverages (duh!) or coolers.

Here's the upcoming Jazz in the Garden schedule:

September 14
US Navy Band Commodores
Music of New York and Broadway from the 1920s and 1930s
Presented in honor of Edward Hopper
5:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
September 15
Sean Jones Quintet
Presented in connection with the Duke Ellington Jazz Festival
1:30 p.m.–4:00 p.m.
September 21
US Navy Band Commodores
Music of New York and Broadway from the 1920s and 1930s
Presented in honor of Edward Hopper
5:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.
September 28
Bruno Nasta, jazz violinist, and ensemble
Contemporary and traditional jazz violin
5:00 p.m.–7:00 p.m.

I personally want to go see the US Navy Commodores tomorrow evening, but we'll have to see if my boyfriend is going to be off work that early or not. If I don't get to the Sculpture Garden tomorrow, I can always catch the concert again on the 21st!

P.S. They turn the fountain into a skating rink once the weather gets cold. Another excellent date idea! You can thank me later.

P.P.S. The nearest Metro stops are Judiciary Square on the Red Line, Archives on the Yellow/Green Lines, and Smithsonian on the Blue/Orange Lines.

Labels: ,

0 Responses to “Not-so-secret garden.”

Post a Comment






  • CUC Main Website
  • Get Information
  • Come For A Visit
  • Apply Now
  • Academic Departments
  • Class Schedules
  • Sligo SDA Church
  • CUC Center for Law & Public Policy
  • CUC Center for Metropolitan Ministries
  • Athletics at CUC
  • Music at CUC
  • Internships in DC
  • CUC Fast Facts

  • CUC Financial Aid
  • FAFSA - What Is It?
  • Info on Grants & Loans

  • Things to do in DC
  • The Smithsonian Institute
  • Monuments & Buildings
  • Historic Georgetown
  • Arts & Entertainment
  • Local Restaurant Guide
  • Local Sports Teams
  • Local Shopping



  • Previous Posts



    Powered by Blogger